Anxiety is a common emotion that can be situational or chronic. While on the one hand, it can motivate us to take action or help us stay safe, anxiety can also have detrimental effects when ignored or left unchecked. For too many of us, anxiety is something we encounter as a necessary evil or something we feel is best ignored. However, anxiety can manifest in our bodies in different ways, and ignoring it can have long-term negative consequences.
One of the key takeaways from this episode is the power of our mindset in shaping our experiences and outcomes. This is true for our relationship with anxiety. For many people, anxiety can feel like an overwhelming force that holds them back from living their best life. But by shifting our mindset and beliefs, we can see anxiety in a different light.
As Stephenie Zamora, the guest in this episode, shared, others often dismiss or belittle anxiety, but it is a very real and valid experience. Rather than trying to simply "get over" anxiety, it's important to acknowledge it and learn to work with it. By identifying our core values, desires, and purpose, we can focus on what truly matters to us and take steps towards those goals despite any feelings of anxiety that may arise.
Another way to shift our mindset around anxiety is to cultivate a sense of self-compassion and kindness. Instead of beating ourselves up for feeling anxious or overwhelmed, we can learn to offer ourselves gentle and loving support. This might involve practicing mindfulness, meditation, or other forms of self-care to help soothe and calm our nervous system.
Ultimately, by shifting our beliefs and mindset around anxiety, we can move through and past it to a better and more fulfilling life. As the guest on this episode discovered, it often involves doing deep inner work to address long-held patterns and beliefs that no longer serve us. But with time, effort, and a willingness to embrace change, anything is possible.
When anxiety remains ignored or unchecked, it can lead to various physical and mental health issues, such as insomnia, irritable bowel syndrome, chronic pain, panic attacks, depression, and other related disorders. It's essential, therefore, to pay attention to our anxiety and address it in healthy ways. Here are some strategies to help rediscover ourselves and remake our lives when anxiety is a factor:
1. Identify your triggers: Anxiety often has certain triggers that set it off. Identifying what those triggers are will help you recognize the situations that can cause anxiety and learn how to manage them effectively. You can even keep a journal to help you identify what's causing your anxious reactions.
2. Get rid of the stigma: The more we talk about anxiety and mental health, the less it becomes a taboo topic. Anxiety is not something to be ashamed of, but an emotion to be understood and addressed. Talk to people you trust about your struggles with anxiety, and you'll find that many others can relate.
3. Practice mindfulness: Mindfulness is an exercise in non-judgmental awareness of your surroundings and your thoughts. It can help you recognize the causes of your anxiety and understand them better. This practice can also help you experience the present moment, which can be calming and anti-anxiety.
4. Seek professional help: If anxiety is impacting your life and you can't manage it on your own, seeking professional help from a licensed therapist is highly recommended. A therapist can help you identify your triggers, develop coping mechanisms, and lead you on the road to recovery.
5. Address the underlying issues: Sometimes, anxiety is not the actual problem but the symptom of a more significant issue. Addressing the underlying issues can help eliminate anxiety altogether.
6. Develop a self-care routine: Taking care of yourself is an essential part of cultivating good mental health. A self-care routine can include exercise, healthy eating habits, meditation, hobbies, and relaxation techniques.
Ignoring anxiety is not a viable option, and doing so can ultimately lead to negative long-term consequences. Learn to recognize the signs of anxiety and develop healthy self-care habits to manage it more effectively. Remember that there's nothing wrong with seeking professional help to overcome your anxiety. With the right tools, strategies, and support, it's possible to rediscover and remake ourselves towards a better life.